Search This Blog

03 February 2010

Homemade Lacing Beads

Well, this project really started last week when we made a rather large amount of salt dough using this tried and true salt dough recipe:


4 c.flour
1 cup salt
1.5 c water (approx)
Add food coloring to water before mixing if you want colors.

 Taken from the book "Raising Children as Peacemakers" written by none other than my marvelous mama, Peggy Rich (published under the name Goding)
It brought back memories as the kids all had to taste the dough. I, as a child had quite the flavor for a little playdough snack, so much that one time in particular it caught up with me and came back up all over my mothers burgundy rug.  The image is burned into my brain.  So, I relived these moments as i gently told the children the story of when i was a little playdough eater.
The same recipe.



Well, unfortunately when, this particular afternoon, we decided we were in the molding squishing kind of mood, we found that our zip locks of dough had been improperly sealed...probably a hurried pick up before an overdue naptime days earlier.  So we decided to try and salvage our precious clay.  A bit of water and some vigorous kneading was all it needed, though it was still not as maleable as fresh.  But then it came to us... what if?  Let the bead making commence!

So I didnt do a great job the photo documenting this time around, but it's pretty straightforward as i think you could imagine.
1. Roll a bunch of balls
2. Poke the bootie end of a crayon through both sides.
3. Lay em out on a floured cookie sheet
4. Toss em in the oven at 300 for 30 min or until baked through.


We decorated ours with pastels, and a coat of hairspray to boot. They turned out quite splendid if i do say so!  And...a couple mamas i know got necklace presents from their little artists as well.






6 comments:

  1. I love this! I am going to this with my kids. Looks like big time fun. I am also going to share this link with my yahoo moms group and my cafe mom green earth green home group! I would follow you to but I don't see an option for that.
    Love your blog though!
    I am going to add you blog to my blog list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! you are sweet:) i think i fixed the problem, we'll see... no wonder i have no followers:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to look into getting this book! I want to do this project with Bradley - he might not catch on yet and he might try to eat the dough...

    But all in due time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it is out of print but i know if you look in used out of print online stores, you can find it cheap. Lots of awesome ideas in it! she was a very hands on creative mama to have:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found a few used copies for sale on Amazon. I can't wait to order it. I wrote down the salt dough recipe. I want to invite the neighbor kids over for a bead day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! i totally have the neighbor kids over for playdough making parties like once a month! they are older, so its not too crazy:)

    ReplyDelete